Skip to Main Content
Anthony (Tony) Brizendine, Ph.D, P.E., PLS.
Professor, Civil Engineering Technology and Construction Management
- Ph.D. in Civil Engineering, West Virginia University
- M.S. in Civil Engineering, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
- B.S. in Civil Engineering Technology, Summa Cum Laude, Bluefield State College
- REGISTERED PROFESSIONAL ENGINEER, Virginia
- Geotechnical Engineering: earth structures/risk analysis/probabilistic modeling/finite element analysis
- Continuous Improvement/Outcomes Assessment
- Educational pedagogy
- “Net-Zero Energy Building Operator Training Program”, DOE, 2010-2012, $589,843, Co-PI.
- “Enhancing Diversity in Engineering Technology”, NSF, 2006-2010, Co-PI.
- “Career Opportunities for Meritorious Engineering Technology Students”, NSF, 2006-2010, Co-PI.
- “Diversity in Engineering Technology”, NSF, 2004-2006, $898,000. Co-PI.
- NSF/WV EPSCOR Grant, Global Positioning, 2000, PI
- Transportation Certification & Training Programs, WV Dept. of Transportation; 1999-2002, PI
- Ruskin Manufacturing Grant, 2001, PI.
- NSF/WV EPSCOR Grant, Global Positioning, 2000, PI.
- NASA Software Assurance Grant, Project Co-Director, 1996 – 1997
- US Army Corps of Engineers, Waterways Experiment Station, Hydraulic Conductivity, 1994-1997, PI.
- NSF/WV EPSCOR Grant, Penetration Resistance & Kinematic Viscosity, 1994, PI.
- US Army Corps of Engineers, Waterways Experiment Station, Hydraulic Conductivity, 1994-1997
- NSF/WV EPSCOR Grant, Direct Shear & Data Acquisition, 1993.
- NSF/WV EPSCOR Grant, Permeability & Consolidation, 1992
- Fairmont State Foundation, Geoenvironmental Studies, 1993.
- Gehrig, G.B. & Brizendine, A.L., “Incorporating Outcome-Based Assessment Processes into a Construction Curriculum,” Int’l Proceedings of the 43rd Annual Conference of the ASC, 2007.
- Gehrig, G.B., Brizendine, A.L. & Cottrell, D.S., “Development of an Integrated Construction Management and Civil Engineering Technology Curriculum,” Proceedings of the 2006 ASEE Conference & Exposition.
- Invited Plenary Speaker, “What Have We Learned from Recent Experiences with the Accreditation of Engineering Technology Programs Under the New Outcomes Assessment Criteria?,” The 2004 Assessment Institute, Indianapolis, IN, November 2004.
- Nicholas, Brizendine & Stilgenbauer, “MicroStation Applications for Highway and Transportation Structures Design,” Proceedings of the 2003 American Society for Engineering Education Annual Conference & Exposition, Nashville, TN, June 2003
- Engineering Technology Council Task Force on ET Scholarship, “The Scholarship Horizons in Engineering Technology: Choosing the Best Path,” Proceedings of the 2003 American Society for Engineering Education Annual Conference & Exposition, Nashville, TN, June 2003. This paper, co-written by the members of the Task Force, won a PIC Best Paper Award.
- Invited Panelist, “Transition Visits Using TC2K – The Team Chair Perspective,” Engineering Technology Division, ASEE Annual Conference, American Society for Engineering Education, Nashville, TN, June 2003
- TAC of ABET Evaluator Training, 2003 CIEC Conference, American Society for Engineering Education, Tuscon, AZ; 2002 CIEC Conference, American Society for Engineering Education; 2003 ASEE Annual Conference, Nashville, TN; 2002 ASEE Annual Conference, Montreal, Canada; 2001 ASEE Annual Conference, Albuquerque, NM.
- “Developing an Outcomes-Based Model Curriculum”, Tennessee Community College Engineering Technology Consortium, Chattanooga, TN, February 2003
- Stilgenbauer, Nicholas & Brizendine, “Scheduling Transportation Projects Using Primavera® Project Planner As Part of the Software Series in Civil Engineering Technology Independent Learning Experiment at Fairmont State College,” Journal of Engineering Technology, Spring 2001.
- Brizendine, A.L., “Developing Innovative Curriculum Models & Certification Programs To Meet the Needs of the West Virginia Department of Highways: Transportation Technician Certificate and Associate of Applied Science Programs”, 2001 ASEE CIEC Conference, San Diego, CA, January 2001
- Brizendine, A.L., “Transportation Technician Certification: A Two-Year Perspective,” Proceedings of the 2001 American Society for Engineering Education Annual Conference & Exposition, Albuquerque, NM, June 2001
- Brizendine, A.L., “Workforce Training Issues in the New Millennium,” West Virginia DOH Contracts Conference, Morgantown, WV, April 2001; “Professional Development for the New Millennium,” West Virginia DOH Design Engineering Conference, Pipestem, WV, March 2001; “Technician Training & Certification: Necessity in the New Millennium,” West Virginia DOH Construction Management Conference, February 2001
- Brizendine, & Nicholas, “Global Positioning: Multi-Programmatic Initiatives,” NSF/WV EPSCoR Conference, Charleston, WV, February 2001
- “Excellence in Teaching & Learning,” Conversations In Teaching Program, Fairmont State Faculty Development Program, September 2000
- Brizendine, A.L., “Architectural, Civil, and Construction Engineering Technology Industrial Advisory Committees: Perceptions of Industry Advisors, Faculty and Administrators,” 2000 CIEC Conference, (ASEE), Orlando, Florida, February 2000 proceedings
- PDW Participants, “A Model For Faculty Development: The ExCEEd Teaching Workshop,” Consultant Report to the ASCE Board of Directors, September 1999
- Brizendine, A.L., & Brizendine, L.D., “Redefining Scholarship: A Win-Win Situation for Engineering & Technology,” (Nominated for Conference BEST PAPER AWARD); “An Independent Learning Experiment: Software Series in Civil Engineering Technology,” Proceedings of the 1999 American Society for Engineering Education Annual Conference & Exposition, Charlotte, NC, June 1999
- “TAC of ABET Program Criteria Changes: 2000 and Beyond,” “TAC of ABET Program Evaluator Training: 1999-2000,” “Defining Faculty Work,” 1999 ASCE Education Congress, Charlotte, NC, October 1999
- Brizendine, & Riley, “Case History: An Innovative Curriculum Model for Workforce Development in Engineering Technology,” 1999 CIEC Conference Proceedings, Palm Springs, CA, February 1999
- Brizendine, and Copley, “A Model Curriculum for A Multidisciplinary Baccalaureate Degree in Civil & Mechanical Engineering Technology (CMET),” 1999 CIEC Conference Proceedings same, Palm Springs, CA, February 1999
- ”Computer Controlled Data Acquisition Laboratory Experiences in Civil Laboratories,” “Continuing Professional Development for Engineering, Engineering Technology, and Industry Personnel,” (Nominated for BEST PAPER AWARD), Proceedings of the 1998 American Society for Engineering Education Annual Conference & Exposition, Seattle, WA, July 1998
- “Collaboration for Improved Laboratory Experiences: Capitalizing on Applied Research Opportunities, 1998 CIEC Conference Proceedings,” ASEE, Savannah, GA, February 1998
- Risk Based Analysis of Levees, Doctoral Dissertation, West Virginia University, August 1997
- “Probabilistic Analysis of Hydraulic Conductivity in Woody Vegetation,” U.S. Army Engineer Corps, Waterways Experiment Station, Vicksburg, Mississippi, December 1997