Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

What is required when applying?

Specific information regarding the application process can be found at gradadmissions.charlotte.edu/apply/application-requirements. Generally, you will need transcripts from all colleges/universities you have attended, three letters of reference, a statement of purpose, and GRE test results. International students (where English is not the native language) are also required to provide English language proficiency test results.

What is the deadline for applying?

Your application must be submitted by August 1st to enroll in the fall semester. For the spring semester, your application must be submitted by January 1st. For more information, please visit gradadmissions.charlotte.edu/apply/application-deadlines.

For financial assistance, there is a priority application deadline of March 1. Applications submitted by the deadline will be given priority consideration for admission, course enrollment, and financial assistance.

Is financial assistance available?

A limited number of Research Assistantships are available. Students are selected by the faculty responsible for the research and selection is based on demonstrated performance. Information on other options can be found at graduateschool.charlotte.edu/funding/funding-graduate-education.

What is the minimum GPA required?

A GPA of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) is required for admissions. If you have worked toward or earned a graduate level degree or certificate, those grades will also be considered.

When will my application be reviewed?

Applications cannot be reviewed for admission until they are complete (all required information provided) and submitted. Applications are reviewed when received.

How long does it take to complete the degree?

Full-time students generally complete the required 30 credit hours in 3 or 4 academic semesters.

Are the courses offered online?

All courses are offered on campus, and many have online sections available. We plan to offer online sections for more courses in the future.

Who do I contact about Veteran’s benefits?

Contact Ms. Marianne Williford, a Graduate Enrollment Counselor in the Graduate School, to learn more about all the ways UNC Charlotte supports veterans.

My University has a different GPA scale. How do I convert my GPA to a 4.0 scale?

There are a number of resources available on the internet to help you convert your GPA. The iGPA calculator offered by the World Education Services (WES) is available at www.wes.org/students/igpacalc.asp?

Is the STEM program approved?

Yes, see the program CIP code is 15.9999 and is STEM approved. See gradadmissions.charlotte.edu/admissions/international-applicants/stem-designated-program.

Who do I contact about my I-20 visa and/or OPT?

Contact the International Student and Scholar Office (ISSO). Visit their website at isso.charlotte.edu

Who do I contact if I still have questions?

Contact Dr. Jeff Kimble, the Graduate Program Director, at jkimble@charlotte.edu if you still have questions.